A 21-year-old man in the UK has to drop out of university after months of battling a mysterious disease.
Doctors found he had heart and kidney failure after drinking four energy drinks daily for two years.
A caffeine overdose can be life threatening with symptoms such as shortness of breath, nausea, and shaking.
Visit the Insider’s homepage for more stories.
A 21-year-old man was hospitalized for heart failure and kidney failure after drinking more than half a gallon of energy drinks daily for two years, according to a case study published in the BMJ Case Report on April 15.
Although he eventually recovered But the man was initially considered a candidate for an organ transplant, and he spent more than a week and nearly two months in intensive care in the hospital.
Patients drink four 500 milliliters of energy drinks every day, writes study author from St Thomas’ Hospital in London.
That’s about 640 mg of caffeine per day and more than the recommended safe amount of caffeine is 400 mg.
“I think there should be more awareness about energy drinks and the effects of their content. I believe they are very addictive and that young children are too accessible,” the patient said in the case report.
Several months before being hospitalized, he suffered from symptoms such as tremors, shortness of breath and severe indigestion, so he dropped out of university.
This case highlights the potentially toxic side effects of high-caffeine-containing energy drinks, which can lead to serious and sometimes life-threatening health problems.
An overdose of caffeine can be fatal.
Caffeine, the world’s most popular psychoactive substance, is safe to use in moderation, helping billions of people live in the form of coffee and tea throughout the day. It has health benefits such as improved focus, mood and energy.
But too much caffeine is at risk, with side effects such as anxiety, palpitations, and low blood pressure. In severe cases, an overdose of caffeine can lead to unconsciousness and death. Caffeine overdoses are also linked to metabolic acidosis, which can produce serious body acids that can lead to kidney failure.
More concentrated sources of caffeine are more likely to cause an overdose, meaning energy drinks are more risky than coffee and tea.
According to the case study, the most dangerous is caffeine powder in supplements for energy, exercise and weight loss. A spoonful of a highly concentrated powder can contain the caffeine equivalent of 50 or more cups of coffee.
Read the original article in Insider.