New Zealand will open A quarantine-free “travel bubble” with Australia since 11:59 PM on April 18, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced Tuesday.
Why is this important: New Zealand Tourism Industry Officer Chris Roberts and New Zealand Chamber of Commerce Director Michael Barnett told Axios the plan could serve as a model for other countries.
- Roberts, CEO of the tourism industry, Aotearoa, said it would make a blueprint for international travel and trade, noting that the aviation industry had made arrangements with both governments over the past year.
What They’re Saying: “The bubble will fuel our economic recovery and represents the world̵7;s leading preparation for safe international travel while continuing our strategies for eradicating and curing the virus. Go, ”Ardern said at a briefing in Wellington, New Zealand’s capital city.
- Australia’s Prime Minister Scott Morrison said at a news conference in Australia’s capital, Canberra, that the Trans-Tasman travel corridor. “This means aircraft in the air have more jobs on the ground and in the air for our airlines too.”
- “This is the first step of many more to come. I believe that when we return to normal, not only But only this year But still beyond that, ”he said.
How it works: Ardern said her government was implementing a framework prepared to deal with the outbreak, similar to a four-tier alert system, largely preventing the coronavirus out of New Zealand. It involves three possible scenarios: “resume, pause, hold,” the trip, she said.
- New Zealand Health Minister Chris Hipkins said Australians intending to travel to New Zealand will book. “Green zone flight” means that there have been no passengers on that flight from anywhere other than Australia in the last 14 days.
For the record: Australia and New Zealand closed their borders in March 2020 as COVID-19 spreads around the world. Barnett, the CEO of the Oakland Chamber of Commerce, said it took courage to do this and put in place a system to protect citizens.
- “People come first and not about the economy. It’s about the people and the economy is a result of it all, ”he said.
note: Australia herald In October, New Zealanders were able to visit parts of the country without quarantine. It was later expanded to the rest of Australia. But the Kiwi had to inspect in a managed quarantine hotel upon return.
- The travel bubble means Australians and New Zealanders will not have to stay at one of these hotels in any country.
Playing status: New Zealand confirmed the latest community COVID infection on Feb. 28.No new cases were detected in Australia this week.
- Both New South Wales and Queensland reported a local acquisition case last week linked to a bachelor party at a bar in the state. Sen. near the Australian border
Between the lines: Shaun Hendy, who heads Te Pūnaha Matatini, a research center advising the New Zealand government, said opening the route would be at low risk as Australia follows a similar elimination strategy and has an excellent surveillance system.
- “If the outbreak occurs in one of Australia’s states, we will learn about it very quickly and our government will have time to take action to arrange travel from the affected region,” Hendy said.
Things to see: René de Monchy, New Zealand’s interim tourism CEO, said in an email to Axios that she did not expect Australia’s visitor numbers to return to pre-epidemic levels for some time.
- But it is estimated that the travel bubble. “It could bring $ 1 billion into the economy by the end of the year.”
Editor’s note: This article is constantly updated with new details.