COOPERSTOWN, NY – Baseball Hall of Fame accepts the resignation of the board of directors of Roberto Alomar, President Jane Forbes Clark announced Monday.
Alomar, elected to the 2019 board of directors, filed a resignation letter on Saturday for alleged sexual misconduct allegations.
Hall of Fame second baseman was sacked last week as an adviser to Major League Baseball and was placed on the league’s ineligible list after an investigation into allegations Commissioner Rob Manfred announced the firing on Friday by It said in a statement that baseball industry workers reported an incident earlier this year involving Alomar since 2014.
The league has hired an outside law firm to investigate the matter.The MLB said it would not provide further details on the investigation to protect the individuals coming forward.
Clark said after Manfred’s announcement that Alomar’s plaque will remain on display in the hall because “His grandeur reflects his qualifications and the views of the BBWAA voters at the time,” Alomar was appointed in 2011.
Alomar also lost a title as Toronto Blue Jays special assistant, the club said it cut ties with Alomar, including removing him from the level of excellence and the removal of his banner from Rogers Center.
The Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum also said it would not revoke his status as an inductor. But it banned him from any future Hall activities and said it would no longer be associated with him or his foundation.
Alomar has been a 12-time all-star over 17 seasons with the San Diego Padres, Blue Jays, Baltimore Orioles, Cleveland Indians, New York Mets, Chicago White Sox and the Arizona Diamondbacks. 10 Golden Glove Awards and his temper too – he infamously spat on referee John Hirschbeck’s face and received a five-game ban in 1996.