In the inaugural series of the 2021 season between the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees, the Red Sox went to Yankees Stadium and wiped out enemies in the Bronx for the first time since 2011, including a 6-5 victory. In 10 Fierce innings on Sunday
Some points from the series:
• If you think this competition lacks the intensity that has never been before. Consider what longtime Yankees striker Brett Gardner said at the start of the series. That was the team’s first meeting since manager Alex. Cora returns to the Sox after being suspended in 2020 for his involvement in the Houston Astros’ sign-stealing scandal.
“Having him in the dugout makes me want to beat them,”; Gardner said. “We don’t like them. they don’t like us It will be interesting for them to come into town.”
OK, Gardner apparently said with a smile and later said he was “joking” about Cora, but the Red Sox noticed his comments.
Note that Xander Bogaerts told SportsCenter’s Steve Levy after completing the sweep: “Obviously Gardner said a few words before the series started. It gives us a little more strength.”
The Red Sox have lost 11 games in a row at Yankee Stadium and New York 9-1 against them in 2020, so it’s understandable why Bogaerts would have called Sunday’s victory a “big win.” “The most fun game in a long time”
Bogaerts delivered a sprint-forward in the eighth with sacrifice and a winning run with two singles runs from Luis Cessa in the 10th inning, and he now hits .318/.376 .536 with 36 RBIs. He flies. Got it under the radar – it always seems to be – but he should be heading for his third All-Star game.
• In a way, the series confirms what we’ve seen this season: the Red Sox were better than expected. And the Yankees weren’t as good as they could be. Nothing in these three games changed that perspective. It’s been a big week for the Yankees. by seven games against the Tampa Bay Rays and the Red Sox. and New York spawned 2-5.
What was particularly disappointing was that the Yankees won two of their first three games against the Rays. and give Gerrit Cole started the fourth game of that series. But Cole allowed five runs in five innings to lose 9-2 and the Red Sox cleaned up.
“A very bad week for us,” said Yankees manager Aaron Boone. “We have to do it right. we have to be better
“We had to find a way to start ticking off some of the W’s.”
The Yankees didn’t score a run. This may be the team’s biggest development this season. The Yankees are 27th in the race per game. Overtaking the New York Mets, Detroit Tigers and Pittsburgh Pirates, that sounds almost impossible for a team that finished fourth in 2020. Year 2018 and second place 2017.
It wasn’t just because of injuries, as Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton were relatively healthy, with Judge making 57 of his 60 games and Stanton in 41 more worrisome games. It didn’t feel like a lineup waiting to kick in. Get into gear, not with DJ LeMahieu and Gleyber Torres, basically becoming a formidable single. Gardner looks up hill at 37; Clint Frazier and Rougned Odor under .200; And someone named Chris Gittens hit six on Sunday. It’s not as easy as making Luke. Volt is in good health. There is a real problem here. The Yankees hit .215 and averaged 2.6 per game in the 3-10 range.
“No, I’m not worried,” said New Yorker Gary Sanchez after Sunday’s defeat. “We are a really good team. And I believe in my teammates. I believe in the talent we have.
“I’m sure we will get through this hump for sure. and will start playing the baseball we want.”
• Alex Rodriguez addressed the New York lineup during the Sunday Night Baseball broadcast, pointing out that the Yankees have been synonymous with left-handers for decades, actually going back to Babe Ruth and Lou. Gehrig . All three versions of Yankee Stadium have a short veranda on the right. So it’s a long-standing corporate philosophy to load it up for left-handed players. There were eight right-handed hitters. And the struggling Gardner hit the ninth with Boston star Garrett Richards.
when entering Sunday The Yankees scored 44.6 percent of the time, the second-lowest percentage in the majors, with only the Toronto Blue Jays below them. This wasn’t a problem in 2019 when the Yankees hit with a category advantage of just 42.9% of the time but still hit 306 home runs and lead the scoring run. But looking back at some of the Yankees teams in the past, we find that the 2009 World Series champions had a category advantage 70.3% of the time, the best in the disciplines. The 1998 elite team had a 56.4% advantage over plate appearances. The 2019 team was tough to score in the American League Championship Series against Houston, in part because the Astros were full of right-hand throws. The lack of hand power felt like part of New York’s problems.
• One thing that stands out in this series is the performance of the bulls in three games. The Yankees are third in the ERA ordination majors, so overall this group was efficient, but Boston’s Marwin Gonzalez has twice burned Lucas Luetge with two on Friday and two home runs on Sunday. Luetge was dominant, though. He’s a 34-year-old lefty who hasn’t played in the majors since 2015 and is licensed to use .785 OPS in right-handed tackles. Boon went with a fiery hand. but it doesn’t work
Chad Green lost the game on Saturday when he allowed four runs in the eighth inning as the Red Sox stormed the game 3-3. All four runs came with two hits in the doubles from Enrique Hernandez and Christian Vazquez and Bobby Dalbe. Khom Run Green has a 3.14 ERA, but he is now at 0-4.
Then, after Boone used Aroldis Chapman to drop 4-3 in ninth place on Sunday — I have no problem with that. Because you want the game to be close and Chapman didn’t throw in the first two games — he had to take Cessa on day 10, and that didn’t work either. Again, Cessa was good enough, but mostly he was. with low leverage I think this weekend shows that the Yankees miss Zack. How much Britton
• Meanwhile, Matt Barnes saves on Friday and Saturday. by defeating the four hitters he faced. He crushed it as the Red Sox approached with 47 strikeouts and just seven walks in 26⅓ innings, making it an average. Only Chapman had a higher take-off percentage among pitchers with at least 20 innings. The key for Barnes was to throw more. This led to more pitchers count (47.2% of his pitches. That compared to just 12.9% in the hitter count. Better than his career rate of 38.1% and 22.0% into 2021).
Barnes faces only one match on Saturday. But it was still a bit of a surprise when Cora led Barnes into a third game in a row to try to seal a 4-3 lead on Sunday. The manager wouldn’t use a three-day release in a row if they did. can be avoided But if ever there was a game to do It will be one-sided ahead of their opponents. Additionally, Barnes did not play a sound in five days before pitching 17 pitches on Friday. Therefore, this use is preventable. Barnes, though, has had a worse treble in the past without a break (5.37 career ERA vs 3.97 overall ERA).
Of course, the judges walked away and Torres doubled his home run by driving into the left corner – with Alex Verdugo’s balloons making it easy to send the judges home with a run tied. Barnes was given the gift of escaping the occasion when referee Gabe Morales rose from a 3-2 curve outside. That call led to Yankees coach Phil Nevin and Carlos Mendoza being sacked.
Yankees third base coach Phil Nevin was kicked out of the game due to a controversy over the strike against the Red Sox.
Some of the post-game conversations centered around why Boone was not fired along with his coach. You can feel the Yankees fans starting to turn a little towards their manager. (Although Boon just got kicked out of the game a few days ago. So it’s not that he doesn’t stand up or defend his players.)
The anonymous Boston pens, however, include Hirokazu Sawamura, Josh Taylor and Phillips Valdez, who were recorded on Sunday. Two other key members are former Yankees: Adam Ottavino, who has a 2.78 ERA and two saves, and rookie Garrett Whitlock. Yankees system, but he had Tommy John surgery in 2019. The Yankees left him unprotected in the Rule 5 draft, but the gambit failed when the Red Sox took the flyers against Whitlock. He had 1.63. ERA on 27⅔ innings, often pitching multiple innings including five outs on Saturday.
Verdugo did his best to make Mookie Betts’ trade seem less controversial than when it happened. Verdugo’s first chance escaped Domingo German as his eighth home run and he hit .288/.348. .463 Betts hit .258/. .372/.438 With five home runs for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
OK, there’s plenty of baseball to play before we announce Verdugo in the same universe as Betts, but Verdugo will be a solid supporter in front of Bogaerts, JD Martinez and Rafael Devers in the Boston lineup. Verdugo is one of the better players in the league. (The 10th lowest out-of-off rate) He started at least nine games from all three positions on the field. And he does well in high leverage situations. Bear in mind that this is a player who has played less than 1000 games in the Major, so there are still possible improvements to be made. Especially if he learns to lift the ball a bit more.
• A lot of things happened because of the Yankees’ hardship with the bass. and certified They entered their lead day in the majors with 28 outs on base, including 12 at home plate. You might say this they were particularly aggressive. No, they still rank last in the majors in terms of the percentage of that extra base. Granted, for example, going to one to three or the second to go home at once. They were next to the stolen base. They also lead the majors in two plays, including three on Sunday.
This is about the worst base team you’ve ever seen. With little team speed and lots of bone-headed play. That’s one reason the Yankees are last in the majors as a percentage of base and running runners. to score. The Yankees are 14th in the majors by percentage, but 27th in runs per game.