The melancholy mood was accompanied by fierce public debate and accusations about the behavior of key public officials, including Israel’s ultra-Orthodox community, where most of the deaths and injuries came.
Sunday morning, officials from the Forensic Science Institute said all the bodies had been identified, with all of the bodies being transferred to the family for burial. The final body is expected to be released in the next few hours.
Tensions have risen so much in the ultra-Orthodox neighborhood, with some being upset that the process was not finished before the start of Shabbat, meaning they had to wait more than one day to bury the people. They love
Police reported that dozens of ultra-Orthodox men blocked the main streets of Jerusalem and set fire to waste in protests Saturday evening.
Politically, most of the initial blame for the hilltop disaster was focused on Minister of Public Security Amir Ohana, whose ministry included police responsibilities.
Ohana, a member of Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud party and one of the prime minister’s most loyal allies, appeared at the festival just hours before the attention struck.
He used Facebook on Saturday evening to praise the police involved, and said he accepted responsibility for what happened but was not blamed.
“I am responsible, but responsibility is not to blame. Celebrations this year took place as every year it was hundreds of years before the state of Israel was established at the time of the disaster. More on the mountain In the normal year there are fewer, this disaster happened this year. But it could happen in other years, ”he wrote at the end of a lengthy post.
Witnesses told what happened in Mount Meron in the north of the country when crowds tried to leave one of the main festival sites down a narrow walkway.
People began to slip onto the ground and fall to the ground, with the people behind them falling on them, causing crashes and suffocation, witnesses said.
Officials with knowledge of the names of the deaths told CNN they expected the deaths to include five US citizens. Two Canadians were also killed in the spotlight, according to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s statement. Canada
The health ministry said more than 100 people were injured, four of whom were still in critical condition in hospital on Saturday evening.
The sentiment of the Minister of Public Security Ohana reflects the outspoken comments the other day by Shlomo Levi, former head of the Merom HaGalil Regional Council, which holds the annual religious festival.
He told Israel’s Channel 13 News that the mountain was “The bomb has lasted many years,” and continued, “I know this will happen and I am also issuing a warrant to shut down the website. But the police cannot enforce it and The Minister of Public Security was pressured. [to keep it open]. ”
Little was organized last year, but some years as many as 400,000 people attended, according to estimates informed, to sing, dance and set fires in the burial site of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yokai. Second century philosopher
Levi told Channel 13 News that he blamed most of the leaders of the Hassidic sect who took part in the Lag B’Omer festival, along with government political representatives, for taking action he described as a “mafia” controlling the venue. Festival
“This mountain is strange, it should be clean and religious, in fact it is corrupt in terms of the word,” he said.
“In Israel, there are places beyond police jurisdiction, there are autonomous regions where the state does not even try to assert its sovereignty. Rabbi Shimon’s cemetery is an autonomous region, as is the ultra-Orthodox district. In Jerusalem and Bnei Brak, ”he wrote.
In a growing indication that the sentiment of many Israelites showing against the ultra-orthodox group may be reduced, the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) has spoken out about the abuses that Said the female soldiers had been while they were involved in rescue and recovery. Festival venue
In a violent statement, the IDF said: “At the start of Home Front Command’s rescue operations at Mount Meron’s grave, some present people began verbal and physical assault on IDF female fighters on their way. Evacuating the Wounded, the force continues its mission, ignoring inappropriate behavior.The IDF takes the incident seriously and condemns the physical or verbal violence against female and male soldiers.
Former Defense Secretary Benny Gantz tweeted his support for the IDF statement.
Two of Israel’s most senior politicians, Netanyahu and former Defense Minister Naftali Bennett, visited Mount Meron on Friday to express his condolences and vowed the mishap would not happen again.
Both men were still in orthodox, many blaming police for their deaths. “They turned off the barricades and people were suffocated and died,” one man shouted at. Bennett
In a comment tweeted on Friday morning, Knesset’s largest ultra-orthodox party leader Aryeh Deri of Shas wrote, “Heart is torn … our dance becomes a mourning, I claim. Let the people pray and Tear the gates of heaven to heal the wounded, support and strengthen families who have lost relatives … May God wipe away tears from every face. Amen. “
Both Deri and his partner in the party The other Ultra-Orthodox represented in the Moshe Gafney Congress of United Torah Judaism did not cite any responsibility.
Both men are critical to Prime Minister Netanyahu’s continued efforts to form a new government following inconclusive March elections.