Four tankers were banned by the internationally recognized Yemeni government backed by Saudi Arabia and the military to dock between March 31 and April 8, but the Yemeni humanitarian agency has told CNN said the fuel was not close enough to deliver. Helping millions of people in the northern part of the country where famine has entered. There was no indication from the government or Saudi Arabia that it plans to allow 10 more ships to dock.
The letter was signed by prominent Democrat Adam Schiff, California intelligence chairman Jerry Nadler, chairman of the New York Judiciary, and several members of the State Committee in particular. Give Biden “Public pressure” for the Saudi regime to end the blockade
“This must include ensuring that humanitarian and commercial imports can freely enter Yemen, assign security oversight to the United Nations’ Audit and Inspection Mechanism for Yemen (UNVIM). Full authorization for flights to and from Sanae airport and ensuring commercial crossings Civilian traffic is permanently opened, “the letter read.
In response to the CNN report, Saudi Arabia’s top diplomat said the country would agree on a United Nations-backed proposal to end the conflict in Yemen. The proposal includes a ceasefire and an end to the blockade. It is the first time that the Saudi government has accepted any form of blockade.The Houthi and Yemeni governments have yet to agree on a UN proposal.
Saudi Arabia waged a six-year war in Yemen against Iran-backed Huthi rebels that drove an internationally recognized government from Sanaa in 2015.The conflict turned out to be the worst humanitarian crisis in the world.
The State Department has been optimistic that some of the fuel vessels can dock in Yemeni ports. But he made it clear that it was only part of the problem. The department remains concerned that the resources entering the country are insufficient to meet the needs of the population.
“The free flow of fuel and other essential goods into and across Yemen is of vital importance in supporting the delivery of humanitarian aid and other necessary activities,” State Department spokesman Ned Price said on Friday. March 24, “The United States appreciates this decision of the Republic. The Yemeni government, the fuel must be delivered to the Yemeni market without delay to deliver food and access to water, and generally help alleviate the suffering of Yemeni people.
Members of Congress made it clear in the letter that it wanted the blockade entirely.
They worry that the situation in Yemen continues to deteriorate. In their letter, lawmakers claim that around 16 million people are at risk of starvation due to the blockade. A group of Yemeni Americans from Michigan has been hungry in solidarity with the Yemeni people. Their efforts encouraged their Member of Parliament, Democratic Representative Debbie Dingell, to sign the letter.
“Ending US support for Saudi-led aggression in Yemen alone is not enough if we let the blockade go on. It is estimated that 400,000 Yemeni children under the age of five may die of starvation in Yemen. This year, if the siege continues – it will have to be lifted now, “Dingell said.” That’s why today I am proud to lead my colleagues in the pressure on the Biden-Harris management to take advantage. In ending this blockade by a large Yemeni community in Michigan’s 12th district, I continue to see firsthand the pain and disaster it inflicts on our neighbors. As they lost their family and friends in this war and the subsequent humanitarian crisis caused.
The anti-hunger group was held in front of the White House on Tuesday and was visited by Minnesota Democratic Representative Ilhan Omar.
The Biden administration terminated support for all Saudi-led aggression earlier this year.CNN contacted the White House in response to the letter.
A group of 70 national organizations sent a similar letter to Biden with a plea to pressure the Saudi government. Those who signed the letter included several famous celebrities who supported Biden’s presidential campaign, such as actors Mark Ruffalo, Amy Schumer and Alyssa Milano.
CNN’s Maegan Vazquez and Jennifer Hansler contributed to this report.