Home / Health / Do not use this on your grill. warning officer

Do not use this on your grill. warning officer



The days are warmer and summer is approaching. People all over the United States enjoy hours of outdoor activities. Enjoy al fresco meals with friends and family. However, if you̵

7;re considering turning on your grill for the first time this season. There’s a major (and common) error agency saying you might be undergoing a procedure that could put you in the hospital—and not the burn you risk if. you made this mistake Read on to discover some serious grilling safety mistakes you can’t make this summer.

RELATED: If You See This At Barbecue, Don’t Eat It, USDA Says In New Warning

metal grill brush on grill
Shutterstock/William Hager

The grill is difficult to clean. This makes heavy-duty wire brushes a staple in the barbecue master’s cleaning arsenal. However, experts say using metal brushes to clean grills can be a serious safety risk.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recently issued a warning to grillers warning them against using wire mesh brushes as the bristles can get embedded in food and swallowed, which could cause serious injury or death.

For the latest health and safety news delivered straight to your inbox. Please subscribe to our daily newsletter!

man in hospital bed talking to doctor
Shutterstock

Injuries associated with accidental ingestion of metal grating bristles happen more often than you might think.

According to a 2016 study published in the journal Otolaryngology—Head and Neck SurgeryAccording to data from the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (NEISS), about 1,698 Americans went to hospital after accidental use of bristles or grilled metal shavings between 2002 and 2010. 2014

Side view of a senior man with stomachache while sitting in bed at home
iStock

The NEISS data indicates that the most common locations of grill bristles injuries are the mouth and throat. But the metal bristles for the grill can cause more serious injuries to the lower digestive tract.

2016 paper published in the journal american surgeon Examine six cases of ingestion of metal bristles leading to intestinal injury; Among the patients studied Five surgical interventions were required. This includes three individuals who have undergone laparoscopic surgery to repair a bowel perforation.

According to research published in in Annals of Coloproctology In 2016, the death rate from intestinal perforation was about 30 percent, but it can reach up to 70 percent in people who have suffered peritonitis. Infections that start in the gastrointestinal tract will spread throughout the abdomen.

crumpled aluminum foil ball
Shutterstock / i_vav

If you want to clean your grill thoroughly—but safely—this summer is hopeful. The CPSC recommends a nylon brush for grill grates, which have softer bristles that are less likely to cause injury. Or use a roll of aluminum foil to clean your grill instead of a metal brush.

If you choose to use a metal brush to clean the grate, Make sure the brush is relatively new. Because the older one may come off more bristles. as mentioned american surgeon According to the study, none of those who experienced a bowel perforation had changed their grill brush in the two years before their injury.

Related: If You Saw This at the Beach don’t go into the water Experts warn


Source link