close

Within minutes, the rioters outnumbered the police and rushed to the front of the town hall.

USA Today

Authorities are arresting more people involved in the blockade of the U.S. Capitol last week. The online collection area for the far right has been closed or is getting a lot of new users. And thousands of National Guard forces were brought in to protect the nation’s capital.

Among the leaders of the far-right extremists are telling their followers to stay away from planned protests across the country this weekend and on the day of their inauguration.

“We’re going to take a cold pill,” Enrique Tarrio, president of the far-right street gang Proud Boys, said in an interview. “I feel this part of the fight is over.”

Other dignitaries to the far right, who helped pull a large crowd to the capital on Jan. 6, echoed his message not to stay away.

“Of course, this should go without saying. But avoid the capital on January 20, ”Podcaster and far-right activator Nicholas Fuentes wrote on Twitter.“ They are sending 25,000 troops for the inauguration and emergency situations will remain in effect. I’m not going, and I’m not going to go back to DC in a long time! ”

Protest at launch day: DC states scramble to increase safety. Will they be ready?

Kenosha’s Unrest: After Kyle Rittenhouse saw a flashing white sign at the bar, prosecutors wanted him to stay away from the Proud Boys.

Extreme right extremism experts agree that unlike the days before the January 6 riots, the online ecosystem used by President Donald Trump’s most outspoken supporters has been muted, with little sign of herd. Masses will gather in Washington or the state capital for planned protests. Sunday and Wednesday inauguration

But they warn, that doesn’t mean there’s no chance of violence.

Federal officials believe that following the suspect in an aggressive attack on government agencies and early demonstrations of force to secure an inauguration could encourage some extremist groups to consider returning to Washington. To cause the violence, officials familiar with the investigation said Thursday.

Officials, who were not authorized to comment publicly, said some of the suspects planned to return have retained lawyers and do not risk participating in protests in Washington and elsewhere.

However, the authorities warned that the level of threat remained high as many extremist groups were not part of established groups such as the Proud Boys with designated leaders.

The FBI warned earlier this week that protests were planned in all 50 states, and experts worried that government agencies could prove a soft target for domestic terrorists, armed militants or Trump supporters group that. Angry

“Nothing will happen in DC, but I’m worried about the state capital,” said Daryl Johnson, a former security adviser and former senior domestic terrorist analyst for the Department of Homeland Security. Should increase safety “

‘Time to dust these tools’: ‘Armed forces’ are illegal. Will the authorities crack down if they show up in the state capital next week?

Crackdown on rioters

As of Thursday morning, dozens of people who took part in the riots were arrested last week. The FBI is tracking more than 200 suspects involved in the attack, FBI Director Christopher Ray said on Thursday.

Security in Washington, D.C., was increased immediately after the riots. A special level has been reached, with thousands of National Guard forces pledging to protect federal buildings and public spaces.

Auto play

Show thumbnails

Show subtitles

Last slide, next slide

The message to the prospective protesters was clear: many rallies that were not approved and the violence would not be tolerated. And it seems to resonate in the far right corner

“Before January 6, I always said it was stupid to come to DC rallies,” Tarrio said. beginning”

He addressed the protests that rang shortly after the riots when people on social media posted about the ‘Million Militia March’ or ‘#MMM’ event on Sunday.

Jonathan Waccrow, chief operating officer of consultancy and advisory firm Teneo Risk and former espionage officer, said the attacks on government agencies, coupled with digital intelligence, had exposed the perpetrators. Many were unrest to law enforcement agencies, said Jonathan Waccrow, chief operating officer of consulting and advisory firm Teneo Risk and a former intelligence officer.

“There are no surprises any more,” Wackrow said. “We not only know what their intent is, we also know who the players are.”

Motion scattered online

In the lead-up to violent rallies, right-minded individuals set up a welcome platform to encourage their followers to show up: Parler, a short-lived social media site.

Parlor gained millions of new users following the presidential election, many who supported Trump were unhappy with efforts to kick conspiracy theories and extremists off Facebook and Twitter.

Parler is an easy-to-use platform, perfect for groups advertising their intention to come down to Washington to plead with Congress to certify the college’s electoral ballot, a necessary final step before Joe Biden. Will be sworn in to the president

The Proud Boys, QAnon conspiracy theory supporters, far-right cyclist Alex Jones and others used Parler to post a flyer for the rally and urges supporters to join.

Parlor was taken offline on Sunday, messing up the ability of the far-right extremists to reach their followers. Over the past few days, Twitter has deleted more than 70,000 accounts associated with QAnon.Other sites, such as the DLive streaming platform, have removed far-right activists.Fuentes who raised money from DLive was one of them.

“You limit the ability to deliver a broad message,” said Brian Gerber, co-director of Arizona State University’s Center for Homeland Security and Management. “That makes it difficult to keep track of, but also limits the scope of activity. ”

Without parlor, extremist groups will try to reach their followers online.

Extremists and right-wing Trump supporters are scattered across the Internet to easy-to-use forums. In the first Telegram encrypted messaging service, called “Parler Lifeboat,” nearly 16,000 new followers within 24 hours.

But Trump supporters familiar with Facebook, Twitter and Parler found themselves struggling with Telegram.It worked less like a forum and more like a group chat, with overwhelming comments that new users could find.

Incoming Telegram users find themselves confronted by longtime neo-Nazis and white supremacists using the platform. They are trying to spread anti-Semitic and racist propaganda to the influx of Trump supporters.

The “lifeboat” group turned into a confused conservatives arguing with hardcore white crowds as they tried to post and access content on the platform.

Going dark: Banned from Facebook and Twitter, pro-extremist groups, Trump sought violence on the day of his inauguration in the dark of the web.

The gathering of potential far-right protesters now has no light to guide their movement: a tweet from Trump.

Since Trump was banned from Twitter on Friday, he was forced to message his followers and post messages on the official White House website.

The president has called for peace from his supporters while acknowledging for the first time Biden will be president next week.

“Platforming he made it harder for his supporters to collect some of the messages he gave them,” Gerber said.

The violence still happened.

Massive and violent protests are unlikely to occur in the country’s capital. But a single terrorist or a small group could still try to mark their inauguration.

Wray said on Thursday the federal agency remained “Concerned about possible violence” during the launch, added that armed protesters may want to “get closer” to government buildings and officials. He warned that the violence could be aimed at the state capital.

Wray called on those considering traveling to Washington D.C. and the state capitals to participate in violent protests to “stay home” or risk criminal prosecution.

Johnson, a security expert, is concerned about bombs being driven into Washington or even snipers targeting Biden supporters at the launch ceremony.

Wackrow, a former intelligence official, said the massive efforts to secure Washington should not create a false sense of security. The amount of online activity that is publicly accessible by extremist groups is part of what’s happening in the dark corners of the internet, he said.

“A single person with the right means, opportunity and will can change history significantly,” he said, “but that will give the extremists the victory they want.”

One of the far-right parties that attacked City Hall last week were taken by surprise by a heavy military presence in Washington.

Unverified followers of QAnon’s conspiracy theory believe that a group of Satan-worshiping pedophiles are plotting against Trump, which will ultimately destroy them in a military operation known as “The Storm.” The podcasters who studied QAnon said they were consoling to build forces.

“These people are happy with a lot of the military,” View said. “They thought they were there to prevent Joe Biden from running for president, so they said, ‘Enjoy the show, prepare the popcorn ready’

Auto play

Show thumbnails

Show subtitles

Last slide, next slide

Kevin Johnson contributed to this story from Washington, D.C.

Read or share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2021/01/14/far-right-extremists-stay-away-armed-protests-inauguration/4159536001/