Florida had as many as 1.5 million people infected with COVID-19 on Tuesday as 11 more residents lost their battle with the deadly virus and additional cases were identified at the village’s charter school.
All told, the Sunshine State reported 1,503,482 cases, an increase of 14,896 from Monday to Tuesday, of which 1,476,484 were residents. A total of 69,162 cases were reported in long-term care centers and 27,920 cases in prison. Across the state, 66,204 hospitalized people were admitted.
Eight of the most recent deaths are residents of Marion County, while two live in Sumter County and one from Lake County.They are among 976 deaths in the Tri County area, 23,585 in Florida and 378,457 cases nationwide
Two other village charter school students tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday, bringing in the total number of cases reported by schools from August to 46, representing 47 percent of the 98 reported in all Sumter County public schools.
In addition, 129 new COVID-19 cases were reported Tuesday in and around the village, a total of 10,752, including:
- The villages (Sumter, Lake and Marion fields) increased by 39, a total of 2,892;
- Leesburg made up 22 for a total of 2,952;
- Summerfield raised 18, total 1,283;
- Belleview rose 17 for a total of 862;
- Wildwood was up 10 for a total of 765;
- Lady Lake rose 9, a total of 1,052;
- Fruitland Park was raised by 6 for a total of 490;
- Oxford 5 rose a total of 363; and
- Sumter County’s Lady Lake increased by three for a total of 93.
Below is a breakdown of other COVID-19 activities in the area:
- Cases: 45,419 – an increase from 554
- Died: 976
- Hospitalization: 2,878
- Case: 6,108 – 79 increase
- Died: 124
- Hospitalization: 405
- Areas / cities with most cases: The Villages (2,712), Coleman (783), Wildwood (765), Bushnell (658) and Oxford (363).
- Cases: 18,333 – increase of 191
- Died: 336
- Hospitalization: 1,053
- Cities with most cases: Clermont (4,809), Leesburg (2,952), Eustis (1,586), Mount Dora (1,391) and Tavares (1,355) .The village also reported 119 cases.
- Case: 20,978 – 284 increase
- Died: 516
- Hospitalization: 1,420
- Cities with most cases: Ocala (15,498), Summerfield (1,283), Dunnellon (942), Belleview (862) and Citra (374) .The village also reported 61 cases.