Police said two people were seriously injured in the shooting at an industrial park in Frederick, Maryland on Tuesday, before the suspect was shot dead at a nearby military facility. Close

The suspect, identified as a 38-year-old Navy physician, took over the business in Riverside Tech Park and some fled. But it was not immediately clear if the shooting took place inside or outside the business, Police Chief Jason Lando said.

The suspect then drove to Fort Detrick, four miles from the scene, Lando said.

“Fort Detrick Police have neutralized the shooter situation involving an armed gunman and a medical resuscitation procedure has begun,” the Army installation said on the Twitter feed. “The gunman died at the scene.”

The Navy describes the gunman as a Naval Hospital officer.Fort Detrick is home to Army Medical Research and Materiel Command, the Army Medical Research Institute, and is a campus for the National Cancer Institute.

Lando, who became chief last month, said the victim was flown to a shock injury center in Baltimore. He said there was only one athlete and “People will no longer be at risk, everyone is safe”

The shooting follows a series of violent shootings across the country in recent weeks, including last week’s rampage in a California office building that killed four people.

“It’s so sad and it happened too often,” Lando said. “Every time we turn on the TV, we see it happen, and now it’s in our backyard.”

Jeremy Mutschler, marketing director for Nicolock Paving Stones, said the shooting took place near the company’s Frederick location but not at its own business.

“One of the injured victims came to our facility asking for help and we were able to assist and call authorities,” New York-based Mutschler told the Associated Press.

Maryland police also responded, and the Baltimore-based Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said officers and K-9 teams were at the scene that the ATF described as “ the worst. ” “Important events”

His office said Gov. Larry Hogan had been briefed on the situation.

Earlier, police posted on social media that the officers “There were two victims of gunfire, suspects were unaware of their status.”

Frederick Community College briefly entered the lockout, tweeting, “This is not a practice,” but the college later said students and staff were able to return to normal operations: “This was in quarantine. There are no threats on the campus of the FCC cleared entirely. “

Some Frederick County public schools were also briefly held “due to local police activity,” the administration said. “All students and staff are safe, have logged out.”

Frederick is a city of approximately 70,000 people, about 50 miles northwest of Washington, D.C.

Read or share this story: