Software updates are important for all electronic devices. but for smart home devices It’s the difference between having a cohesive system. With so many useless plastic kits, Google has pledged software support for all Nest devices for at least five years after purchase.
The commitment comes in the form of a blog post, which also emphasizes security and safety. In addition to five years of bug fixes and fixes, Nest product manager Ryan Campbell mentions five other prongs for securing Nest systems:
- Independently monitored security on Nest devices partnered with the Internet of Secure Things Alliance.
- Invest in additional security research through the Google Vulnerability Rewards Program.
- Additional protection for your Google account, including two-step verification and suspicious activity detection.
- Verify boot on all Nest devices (sorry, modders).
- Transparency on devices connected to your Google account through your device activity page.
Google truly specializes in smart home technology with its platform. Home/Assistant, and unlike Android, has complete control over the software and security on Nest devices. It̵7;s healthy, but Google and Nest are in a better position than most to endorse these. Now if it can handle those annoying downtimes…