President Trump̵7;s final tweet read, “To anyone asking me not to take office on Jan. 20.”
Google’s YouTube has blocked President Donald Trump’s official channel from uploading new content for at least a week, citing the violence it may have taken after the City Hall blockade.
In a video of a speech to reporters uploaded to Trump’s YouTube channel on Tuesday, the president said impeachment of him for inciting violence at the Capitol would be “a matter of time.” “Very dangerous for the United States.” YouTube removed the video.
“After a review and due to concerns about possible violence, we removed new content uploaded to Donald J. Trump’s channel for violating our policies,” the company tweeted late Tuesday.
YouTube will also turn off commenting on Trump’s channel indefinitely. “Due to ongoing concerns about the violence,” the company said.
The suspension was the latest by the country’s leading social media platform, which has removed the president’s online megaphone almost entirely that allowed him to have direct access to Americans.
The move comes as civil rights groups threaten national sanctions if YouTube does not delete the channel, which has 2.77 million followers.
“The seven-day minimum is an important and necessary first step for YouTube, and we hope they will make it permanent,” Jim Steyer, CEO and founder of Common Sense Media, said in a statement to USA TODAY.
Americans support the Trump ban: Twitter’s ban on Trump following the central agency attack was largely backed by Americans. But not most Republicans, Harris Poll said.
Twitter dumped Trump: President Trump has been permanently banned from Twitter for the risk he could incite violence.
“While it’s disappointing Trump attacks our agency to get here. But it seems that all major platforms are finally stepping up and taking this important issue seriously, and policymakers and citizens are committed to sticking to it. He said there was a responsibility. “Not to mention our democratic norms and institutions, the future of our children depends on it.”
Earlier on Tuesday, the civil rights coalition Stop Hate for Profit urged YouTube to remove Trump’s verified YouTube channel. “This gives Trump the opportunity to continue spreading false information that the US election has been stolen” or face sanctions.
“If YouTube disagrees with us and joins other platforms for banning Trump, we will go to the next advertiser,” Steyer told USA TODAY.
The Stop Hate for Profit campaign, which aims to rid the social media platform of hate speech, white supremacy, misinformation and disinformation, led to Facebook sanctions in the summer following the death of the screen. George Floyd under the knee of a white police officer.
1,100 advertisers stopped buying ads on Facebook and Instagram in July, with very few advertisers pulling their spending until the end of the year.
Until Tuesday night, YouTube alone was Facebook and the Instagram, Twitter and Snap apps blocked Trump after he incited supporters to invade City Hall last week.
YouTube said it had issued a “protest” on Trump’s channel. With the initial strike, Trump’s YouTube channel was temporarily blocked from uploading new videos or live streams for at least seven days.
If during 90 days the channel receives a second strike, it will be suspended for 2 weeks, the third strike causes the channel to be permanently deleted.
YouTube said it was no exception for public figures and had previously removed videos from Trump’s channel for policy violations.
“I’m not sure what could be more worrisome, the fact that platforms like Facebook have waited four years to call it ‘act’ now that Trump has almost resigned, or YouTube is still unable to ban it. “No matter how you look at it, these platforms are too often on the wrong side of history, and now it’s time to control them.”
Trump had a harsh message about his own technology company on Tuesday.
“I think Big Tech is doing terrible things for our country and for our country, and I believe it will be a terrible mistake for them. They’re divided and divided, ”Trump told reporters.
Read or share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2021/01/12/trump-youtube-ban-capitol-riots-civil-rights-groups/6649933002/