Shin Bet, Israeli director of domestic security services It warned Saturday of increased provocations that could lead to politically motivated violence.
Why is this important: Nadav Argaman’s rare public statement has raised concerns about the threat of a January 6-style attack on Israel. to prevent the peaceful transition of power If Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is ousted after 12 years in office
Powered News: last friday Netanyahu published a Facebook post citing Bible stories. which compares his political rival on the right with the spies Moses sent to tour the land of Canaan. and lied to people when they returned
- biblical The spies were punished by the gods and died of the plague.
- Netanyahu̵7;s right-wing rival, part of The “change of government”, mostly prime minister, appoints Naftali Bennett and his party members. It has been targeted on social media in recent days by Netanyahu supporters.
- Netanyahu’s supporters show up in front of their homes and send death threats.
- Shin Bet decided to provide security details to Bennett, although he has yet to take office. And the police have increased security for many members of his party.
What are they saying: A day after Netanyahu’s Facebook post, director Shin Bet issued a statement warning of “Severe extremism in instigation and discourse on social media”
- Argaman said provocations could be interpreted by groups or individuals as an approval for violence. He called on Israeli politicians to urge people to calm down and condemn the violence.
- Shortly after director Shin Bet’s speech, Yar Netanyahu, the prime minister’s son, attack him on twitter “It’s a shame. They are trying to silence the right-wing and label every political commentary as provocative,” he said.
What’s next: The House of Representatives on Monday will convene a special session to announce that opposition leader Yaer Lapid can form a government. A vote of confidence in the new government is expected on June 14.