The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) has called for the start of talks this year on international treaties to increase preparedness to deal with the epidemic. This is part of the reforms expected by member states.
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization. told the annual ministerial meeting that United Nations agencies face A ̵6;serious challenge’ to maintain the response to COVID-19 at the current level and require sustainable and resilient funding.
earlier that day which is the last meeting of the week The health minister agreed to study recommendations for ambitious reforms prepared by independent experts to strengthen the capacities of both the WHO and countries. to control the new virus
Ministers from the WHO’s 194 member states will meet from Nov. 29 to decide whether to start negotiations on an epidemic treaty.
“The only piece of advice I believe can be done as much as possible to strengthen both WHO and global health security. It is a recommendation for the Treaty on Epidemic Preparedness and Response,” Tedros said. “This is an idea that the time has come.”
It may be a long road ahead if such a treaty is reached. The WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control – the world’s first public health treaty – was repealed in 2003 after four years of negotiations.
World Health Organization which is at the heart of the world’s slow response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Face potential shake-up to prevent future outbreaks
Under resolutions submitted by the European Union and endorsed by consensus Member States must be firmly in the driver’s seat of reforms through a year-long process.
“It is imperative that we strengthen global (disease) surveillance and delegate the power and capacity to do this important task for the whole world,” the World Health Organization said. Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke at the talks.
“If we are to carry out this ambitious reform agenda, We have to work together and set aside other issues,” he said.
The new virus has infected more than 170 million people and killed nearly 3.7 million since it emerged in China in late 2019, according to official national statistics released by Reuters.
“Germs have an upper hand”
Mike Ryan, WHO’s director of emergencies, welcomed the decision, saying: “Right now, pathogens dominate. They are emerging more often and more often quietly. in an unbalanced world
“We have to change what is uncovering us in this pandemic. our connection We have to turn that into strengths,” he said.
Chilean Ambassador Frank Tresler Zamorano said on behalf of 60 countries that the pandemic pact would help “Pay attention to the numerous calls of experts to reset the system.”
A panel led by former New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark and former Liberia president Ellen Johnson Sirleaf said a new global system should be established to respond more quickly to the epidemic. This ensures that there is no future virus that will cause the deadly epidemic of COVID-19. Read more
Experts, which encountered major failures in the global response in early 2020, said the WHO should be empowered to send investigators quickly to track down new outbreaks and publish all their findings by. without delay Read more
Our Standard: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles