Two-party senators on Wednesday called for the repeal of the presidential war powers granted by Congress in 1991 and 2002, which would revoke the mandate for armed forces in the Middle East due to growing tensions between the United States and Iran.
Senators Tim Kaine, D-Va., And Todd Young, R-Ind., Introduced legislation that would terminate the formal congressional authorization established during the Gulf War and Iraq to reaffirm Congress’s role in entering and ending the war.
The move comes after lawmakers frustrated with President Biden’s unilateral call to air strikes in Syria last week against Iran-backed armed forces that launched attacks on its target. US in Iraq
American contractors in the IRC were acquired from ̵6;CARDIAC EPISODE’ while Rocket took over to host a U.S. military base, PENTAGON said.
The law was also introduced just hours after a US-led coalition residence base was targeted in Iraq.
“Air strikes in Syria last week showed that any administration will continue to extend war power,” Kaine said in a statement on Wednesday. “Congress has a duty to not only vote to approve new military operations But still have to revoke the old permissions that are no longer needed
Democrats and Republicans called for an end. The US “eternal war” and seeks to denounce the president’s ability to maintain military strength in Iraq, although this does not necessarily limit Biden’s ability to operate in military operations in other Middle Eastern countries.
The House and Senate passed similar measures by Kaine last year aimed at limiting President Trump’s power in military action against Iran, despite the opposition of the law.
JOHN KIRBY: SYRIA STRIKE ON DEFENDING THE US ARMY IN IRAQ.
“Congress took action on autopilot when it was our priority to allow the use of military force,” Young said. “The liquidation of two parties of Congress to perform constitutional governance
Senators across the aisle who signed in support of the Kaine-Young bill include Sens. Tammy Duckworth, D-Ill., Mike Lee, R-Utah, Chris Coons, D-Del., Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, Dick Durbin. , D-Ill. And Rand Paul, R-Ky.
A Pentagon spokesperson called Wednesday’s attack “overwhelming” and stuck by the Biden administration’s decision to launch a “defensive” attack last week.
Click here to get the FOX NEWS app.
“The president, as the commander in chief, has a fundamental responsibility for conducting the self-defense of our foreign forces and assets. Nothing will change about that,” said John Kirby, spokesman for the Department of Defense. The Pentagon said.