The Marines are retiring a two-star general in connection with last year’s amphibious raid that killed nine officers, the military said on Wednesday.
The incident outside California’s San Clemente Island on July 30 was described as the worst amphibious vehicle (AAV) accident in Marines history.
Major General Robert F. Castellvi, who was suspended in April from his new position as Marine Inspector General. Was a former commander of the 1st Marine Division, who was in charge of the AAV platoon when the landing craft sank during exercise according to the report
A U.S. Marine dies during the final round of a so-called ‘crucible̵7; exercise.
“Commander [Gen. David Berger] have continued adverse administrative actions [Castellvi]According to Stars and Stripes, the Brigade said, “The commander has advised him personally and formally about the failure to train the Marines and Sailors for which he is appropriately assigned and for the inadequate assessment of the AAV platoon. before being attached to the 15th MEU”
An investigation published in March found that human and mechanical failures caused the AAV’s sinking, saying military training was inadequate. Inadequate maintenance of the 35-year-old AAV, and poor judgment from commanders contributed to the tragedy.
“Contributing factors include lack of training, material condition of AAVs assigned to Marine Exploration Squadron 15, lack of safety boats on the water, and lack of safety boats on the water. Sea conditions higher than expected and inadequate buoyancy by personal buoyancy devices at depths,” the Marines said in a statement about the findings.
The investigation also noted that Castellvi was “responsible” for the incident, The Associated Press reported.
in May A second investigation was launched that found the soldiers had not received proper instructions to escape the AAV.
Marines of the Lima Company Remembrance of those who fell and are reunited in Nashville to stop veterans suicide.
Castellvi was stripped of his duties after family members of eight Marines and one sailor killed in the incident questioned why no general was held accountable.
One of the Marines, Lance Cpl. Guillermo S. Perez, 19, was pronounced dead at the scene. Seven others and a Marine officer were later recovered when the vehicle was found on the ocean floor.
Castellvi’s punishment does not include any downgrades, Star and Stripes reports. Actions against him will remain on his permanent record and will be taken into account whether the Marines will promote or retain him.
CLICK HERE TO GET FOX NEWS APP
the marines said “This action normally prevents an officer from being promoted or serving in a role where he/she will be charged with custody of the Marines and crew,” the Marines said.
At least three other commanders were fired after the incident. including the head of the 15th Marine Exploration Squadron
Sam Dorman and The Associated Press of Fox News contributed to the report.