Home / Health / Michigan woman is the state’s first confirmed case of hantavirus.

Michigan woman is the state’s first confirmed case of hantavirus.



Michigan Reports First Human Hanta Virus Case: Woman Infects Deadly Respiratory Disease While Cleaning An Abandoned House with Rats

  • Michigan health officials confirmed the first case of Hantavirus on Monday. It said a woman was hospitalized with a respiratory virus.
  • They said she should have felt it when ‘Clean up vacant habitats where there are signs of an active rat infestation.’
  • Hantavirus can infect humans from infected mice. When they breathe air contaminated with feces. touching an infected rat or it bites them
  • The Centers for Disease Control says it may be possible to get it from food contaminated with rat droppings.
  • cannot be transmitted from person to person and has a mortality rate of 38%.

Michigan has confirmed the first case of Hantavirus. This is a potentially deadly respiratory disease spread through contact with infected rats.

Michigan health officials reported Monday that a woman from Washtenaw County had “recently been hospitalized with a fatal lung disease caused by Sin Nombre hantavirus,” which “is likely to be exposed when cleaning up her home. an empty place with signs of active rat infestation.”

As of January 2017, only 728 cases of hanta virus have been reported in the United States. Since health officials began investigating in 1993, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

New Mexico reported the most cases with 109, followed by Colorado with 104; Arizona with 78; California with 61; and Texas with 45

DailyMail.com contacted the Department of Health for more information about the patient’s condition

Dr. Jonesigh Khaldun, Chief Medical Officer of Michigan  It announced Monday that a woman from Washtenaw County was the first in the state to contract Hantavirus.

Dr. Jonesigh Khaldun, Chief Medical Officer of Michigan It announced Monday that a woman from Washtenaw County was the first in the state to contract the Hantavirus.

Hantavirus is spread through contact with rodents such as the house rats seen here.

Hantavirus is spread through contact with rodents such as the house rat seen here.

Hantavirus lung syndrome is typically transmitted to humans when they breathe air contaminated with the virus through rat droppings, from rat bites, or if people first come in contact with something contaminated with urine, saliva, or rat droppings. will touch their skin, mouth, or nose

It may also be possible to infect the virus by eating food contaminated with rodent excrement, urine, or saliva of infected rats. According to the Centers for Disease Control

“Anyone exposed to rats with hantavirus is at risk for HPS,” said Dr. Jonesigh Khaldun, chief medical officer and head of public health at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

The most common hantavirus in the United States is Sin Nombre hantavirus, which a Michigan woman has confirmed.

It is spread through deer and white-footed rats. and cannot be contacted from person to person and has a mortality rate of 38%.

Symptoms of hantavirus lung disease may occur one to eight weeks after exposure. and includes fatigue, fever, and muscle aches, headache, dizziness, chills, nausea, and abdominal pain.

Later symptoms include coughing and shortness of breath.

Microscopic view of the hantavirus virions responsible for hantavirus lung disease.

Microscopic view of the hantavirus virions responsible for hantavirus lung disease.

Many of these symptoms reflect COVID-19, and Kaldun said healthcare providers suspected of having the hanta virus should contact their local health department to report and discuss testing options.

It is susceptible to most disinfectants. and typically live less than a week in an indoor environment. and only a few hours in an outdoor environment exposed to sunlight.

Dr. Juan Luis Marquez, Medical Director of the Washtenaw County Department of Health, said: “We can prevent and reduce the risk of hantavirus infection by taking precautions and being alert to the possibility of hantavirus infection. such infection

He recommends people ‘Use rubber, latex, vinyl, or nitrile gloves when cleaning rodent-infested areas. Ventilate the area at least 30 minutes before work. And make sure to use a disinfectant or chlorine solution on the wet area thoroughly before cleaning.’

Advertising


Source link