- Pet food from the Midwestern Pet Company is subject to a voluntary recall.
- It was reported that 70 dogs had died and more than 80 were sick.
- It was found that the food contained dangerous levels of aflatoxin caused by mold.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The FDA warns veterinarians and animal owners that Midwestern Pet Foods Sportmix may be toxic.
Dog food may contain dangerous levels of aflatoxin, a toxin produced by some fungi. So far 70 dogs have died and more than 80 have been sick after eating the Sportmix, although not all cases have been confirmed to be from aflatoxin.
Read more: ̵6;Pet Parents’ are expected to spend $ 99 billion on pet grooming this year, and Walmart plans to dominate the segment with pet insurance and a partnership with walking dogs.
Midwestern Pet Foods has issued a voluntary recall of food produced at its Oklahoma facility and owners should stop feeding their pets immediately and consult a vet. They can also report suspected cases of aflatoxin poisoning to the FDA, which is investigating Midwestern Pet Foods in collaboration with agricultural authorities in 10 states.
Aflatoxin poisoning can cause symptoms. “Lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting, jaundice (Yellowing in the eyes, gums or skin due to liver damage) and / or diarrhea ”, as prescribed by the FDA, can also result in long-term liver damage and death. There have been no reports of illness in cats or humans, The New York Times reports, although people recommend washing hands after handling.
The feed company issued the first voluntary recall in December, when testing revealed high levels of aflatoxin.On Jan. 11, Midwestern Pet Foods expanded the recall to include other products. And the full list can be found on the FDA website.
“As a fourth generation family company, Midwestern Pet Foods has been committed to ensuring that our products are safe and nutritious for nearly 100 years. We have never had a product recall, “the company said in a statement. “We continue to review our facilities and practices in full cooperation with the FDA in an effort to better serve our customers and pet parents who trust us.”
The MPF provides the codes of all affected pet foods here.