Home / World / Mother believes daughter died from chewing too much gum

Mother believes daughter died from chewing too much gum



A Welsh woman whose 19-year-old daughter died ten years ago under mysterious circumstances. She is now believed to have suffered a severe drop in salt levels after chewing too much gum, according to reports.

Samantha Jenkins, from Felinfoel, South Wales, died suddenly on June 3, 2011 after she complained of stomach pain after she drank a bottle of soda on a hot day. Wells Media reports

“Sam and my other daughter Sophie went to town. It was a very hot day,” said Jenkins’ mother, Maria Morgan. tell the news agency

“Like a normal 19-year-old who wears tight shorts and a t-shirt. They go to eat and go home. Sam came downstairs and entered the living room. In the evening she said: ̵

6;I’m not feeling well’ and she said, ‘I used to go to co-op and buy myself pop music and it was past me,’” she said.

Morgan thought her daughter was dehydrated and gave her water. But her condition soon worsened.

“She said, ‘Oh my god, I don’t know what happened to me. I can’t pick up the bottle. It keeps falling to the ground,’” she told Media Wales.

Samantha Jenkins collapsed and had a seizure in her room, falling into a coma.
Samantha Jenkins collapsed and had a seizure in her room, falling into a coma.
Welsh Media

“I told her to go to bed and bring a bottle of water. because she might be exposed to too much sun She told me: ‘I don’t want to go upstairs. I want to sleep here.’ So I told her to go upstairs and bring a blanket downstairs. Then I heard this sound.

“Me and my other daughter got up to the door and asked, ‘What is this?’ and she shouted downstairs. ‘Is this dead?’ — and then we heard another thud,” Morgan added.

Jenkins was taken to Llanelli’s Prince Philip Hospital, where she was in a coma after having a seizure.

“They said that her salt was very low. and need to be brought back up again Because they think that’s why she’s right.” [convulsing]said mom

“They said when her salt was back to normal. They will remove her from the machine. Then we will try to understand what happened,” she added.

But after three days of treatment Jenkins died.

“We were told basically as much as they saw that something had poisoned her,” Morgan said.

“We spent the night trying to figure out if she was nearby.
antifreeze Can you feel this or feel that? I remember going to a counselor and saying that the night before. She was sitting in the living room and wanted some nail polish. And I thought, ‘Oh my god! Is it nail polish remover?’” she said.

Samantha Jenkins was taken to Llanelli's Prince Philip Hospital following the incident.
Samantha Jenkins was taken to Llanelli’s Prince Philip Hospital after the incident.
Google Maps

Morgan added: “All I can remember is I went to the hospital on Friday with one of my daughters and came out on Monday with her glasses. That’s all I have.”

a few months later Her other daughter discovered in a search of Jenkins’ bedroom how much gum she regularly bought.

“Every bag she had and every drawer in her bedroom had chewing gum. empty gum box Every handbag has a receipt at the bottom where she will buy gum… I didn’t know she chewed it every day of the week and as much as she chewed. I don’t even know if I’m going to panic about it,” Morgan said.

“I researched and tried Google to look at chewing gum. And what happens if you chew too much gum? It was incredible and unbelievable,” she said.

Maria Morgan said she found several empty packs of gum and wrapping paper in her daughter's room.  It's enough to chew one piece.
Maria Morgan said she found several empty packs of gum and wrapping paper in her daughter’s room. which is enough to chew a pack of gum “Every day of the week”
Shutterstock

“To be honest, I was thinking. ‘Why don’t people know about this?’ As a parent, you let your child chew gum and not think about it. The fake stuff in the gum is very dangerous — aspartame and sorbitol,” Morgan continued.

“It causes a significant reduction in your salt in your body. And it can lead to a lot of things starting to go wrong with you. which can be misdiagnosed, such as lupus, irritable bowel syndrome There is a list of everything that can be done with your body.”

At the hearing a few years later The coroner was unable to rule out the fact that chewing gum may have played a role in Jenkins’ death, Media Wales reported.

Dr. Paul Griffiths, a pathologist at Morriston Hospital, reported finding “four or five bright green lumps” that turned into chewing gum. and identified death from cerebral hypoxia caused by convulsions and electrolyte depletion.

Jenkins was severely deficient in magnesium, potassium, sodium and calcium.

The coroner said studies show that sweeteners for the gums are safe. but in recording descriptive judgments He said chewing gum may play a role in reducing electrolytes.

At the time of her death, Samantha Jenkins was severely deficient in magnesium, potassium, sodium and calcium.
At the time of her death, Samantha Jenkins was severely deficient in magnesium, potassium, sodium and calcium.
Welsh Media

“They certainly wouldn’t deny that it was from chewing gum. But it helps with chewing gum,” she said. “There is no other case in this country. But when you look at America, there are cases like Samantha.”

As she mourned the loss “A cheerful, playful and fun-loving daughter,” Morgan added, “there’s a lot of ‘why’ to me. but the greatest Why did I lose my daughter to chewing gum? I mean chewing gum – come on, it’s nonsense.”


Source link