The gunfire at a 12-year-old’s birthday party in Louisiana last week injured nine teenagers, including two who remain hospitalized, officials said Monday.
The shooting occurred Saturday night in LaPlace, about 30 miles west of New Orleans, the sheriff’s office in St. John the Baptist’s Parish said in a statement.
No arrests were made, and Sheriff Mike Tregre said “not one” witness gave an official statement about what had happened.
The sheriff’s office said investigators believed more than 60 people had gathered at the party when there was an ongoing feud between the two groups. Officials said two guns were fired.
The injured include:
- A 17-year-old boy was shot in the arm.
- A 16-year-old boy eats grass on the ribs.
- A 15-year-old boy was shot in the foot.
- A 14-year-old boy was shot in the leg.
- A 13-year-old boy was shot in the leg.
- The 12-year-old was shot in both legs.
- A 16-year-old boy was shot in the stomach.
- A 14-year-old boy was shot in the head.
Seven of the injured workers were treated and released at an office-area hospital, the sheriff said. The boy was shot in the stomach and head, still hospitalized in stable condition.
It was unclear if the injured 12-year-old was the one who had a birthday party.
There were no immediate further details about the shooting.