When journalists and lawmakers arrived in the US Capitol on Wednesday, they were amazed to find hundreds of National Guard forces sleeping on the building’s marble floor.
Riot shields were neatly stacked nearby, and firearms were placed on top of a black backpack. Half of the water bottles were placed at the feet of soldiers, and some were leaning against a wall or beside a former president statue.
Army Secretariat: At least 25 domestic terrorist cases are opened in response to the Capital Rio.
However, these in photographs spread around the world are just a few of the 15,000 active National Guard forces that will be sent to Washington, D.C., ahead of President Joe Biden’s inauguration next week.
Currently, there are approximately 2,000 members of the Guard at Capitol Hill.They have used full riot gear and protective equipment and are allowed to use deadly forces in self-defense if needed.
About 6,200 people have traveled to the nation’s capital from six neighboring states and are expected to have at least 10,000 by Saturday.
“The National Guard is here to support the peaceful transition of power and to ensure the safety and well-being of our fellow Americans,” Columbia National Guard Colonel Renee told Fox. News
“As soldiers and pilots rotate from shift to shift, they have a short period of rest in these designated rest areas before moving to the next post, while National Guard personnel continue. Arriving in Washington, their accommodation will be coordinated during the process.
A senior military official confirmed to Fox News that Acting Secretary of Defense Chris Miller has authorized Army Sec Ryan McCarthy to command and control forces in Washington.
McCarthy has allowed forces around the armed parliament building as security measures rise to anticipate another serious confrontation next week.
An unnamed U.S. official told Reuters the troops would not be the first line of defense and the agency noted that the inaugural law enforcement agencies had raised their budgets following the closure. The siege of parliament on Wednesday.
However, Gen. Gen. Daniel R. Hoganson, head of the National Guard, said in a telephone news conference on Monday that all National Guard forces would carry weapons.
Despite these stringent preventive measures But the tension is still high on the hill.
In his first on-camera statement on Wednesday, Acting Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen warned the poor actor that officials would act swiftly.
“I want to send a clear message to anyone considering violence, threats, violence, or other criminal behavior: We will not tolerate any attempts to hinder the peaceful transfer of power on January 20, 2017). Our constitution demands, “he said.” We will not be tolerant of any attempt to take over government offices seriously, there will be no excuses for violence, vandalism, or any other form of violation of the law. “
On Tuesday, Acting Homeland Security Minister Peter Gaynor released a memorandum of agreement to extend the period for the 59th Special National Security Event, which will begin on January 13.
“The department received multiple requests, including from Congress and the Mayor of Washington, D.C., to extend the NSSE term in advance of one week before the 59th presidential inauguration on Jan. 20, 2021,” he wrote. These are the most recent events at the US Capitol on January 6, 2021 and planned events in Washington, D.C. ahead of its launch, I have determined that the NSSE extension to begin on January 13, 2021 is necessary to provide Unified command and control and ensure the safety of this special event. “
In a rare letter signed by eight members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, a four-star military officer denounced the attack on City Hall last week and warned of further riots.
“As a service member, we must embody our nation’s values and ideals,” they wrote. “Any action that disrupts the constitutional process is not just against our traditions, values and vows. But still against the law “
Pentagon officials told The New York Times that they “Extremely concerned” about the protests planned for next week’s release, of which 16 have been registered and said they will be armed.
Click here for the FOX NEWS app.
Defense officials told Fox News the threat level was much higher than what is now reported in the news media.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.