Home / US / The Philadelphia Commissioner of Health resigned after the mayor learned he cremated and disposed of the 1985 MOVE bomb victim.

The Philadelphia Commissioner of Health resigned after the mayor learned he cremated and disposed of the 1985 MOVE bomb victim.



Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney said that Dr. Thomas Farley has resigned since last Wednesday.

“This act of lack of care for the victims, their families, and the profound pain that the MOVE bombing has brought to our city for nearly four decades,” Kenney said in a statement. “The investigation team will include people specifically approved by the African family, and we will do our best to fix this to the satisfaction of MOVE.”

CNN has contacted MOVE group and African family attorney Michael Coard for comment on Thursday’s meeting with Kenney.

The city’s chief medical examiner, Dr Sam Gulino, was given an administrative leave pending a full investigation, Kenny said.Gulino was not fired because he was a civil servant and was under a different process. For any discipline that may arise, according to the mayor.

CNN has contacted Gulino for comment.

In a statement, Farley accused Gulino of finding corpses from some MOVE bomb victims and believed the investigation of their later death had long been completed, so he ordered Gulino to remove bones and bone fragments.

“I am deeply sorry to have made this decision without consulting the victim̵

7;s family members and I deeply apologize for the pain it would have caused them,” Farley said of the removal, which took place in 2017.

‘We don’t know’ how many are missing, Kenney said.

Kenney said the city was conducting an investigation into the disposal of the remains. He said the city did not know details about the types of corpses, who they belonged to, or how many victims were killed.

Tumar Alexander, Philadelphia’s managing director who oversees Farley and Farley, clarified what happened – also said he didn’t know the answers. that But notice that African families deserve those answers.

“Hopefully, throughout the course of this investigation, that’s a question I know families want answers to, and that’s one we and our family need answers to, and I think the people of Philadelphia deserve it. Answer too, ”said Alexander.

Kenney said he didn’t know why the medical examiner’s office captured the remains.

From bombing to cardboard boxes

After years of tensions between Philadelphia police and the MOVE group, police fired 10,000 bullets into the MOVE row on 6200 block Osage Avenue on May 13, 1985, then the police. Has dropped military grade explosives into the house, burning the whole house City blocks to the ground 11 people were killed and 61 houses destroyed.

Alexander told reporters Thursday that the remains that Farley had been disposed of were contained in a cardboard box. But the method or location of disposal is not known and will be considered as part of the investigation. He said he hadn’t seen the images of the corpses himself.

Kenney said the remains related to Farley’s resignation were separate from those discovered in April in the possession of Alan Mann, a former professor at the University of Pennsylvania and the University of Pennsylvania. Princeton Mann returned those bone pieces to Terry Funeral Home in West Philadelphia on April 28, funeral owner and director Gregory Burrell told CNN on April 30.

These corpses belonged to at least one of the victims and were used in online courses as research examples without the family’s knowledge. One of the classes was taught by staff at Penn Museum in partnership with the University of Pennsylvania and at Princeton University, where Mann taught from 2001 until he retired, a Princeton University spokesperson. say

“In 1985, the Philadelphia Physicians’ Office asked Dr. Alan Mann, who serves as an independent forensic anthropologist, examines some of the human remains, ‘a Penn Museum spokesperson told CNN. “Due to inconclusive evidence, the Philadelphia Physicians’ Office relocated the corpse to the care of Dr. Mann to continue the analysis, hoping for a positive identification when he was appointed professor of anthropology at Princeton University in 2001, the remains were moved. “

In an online statement published April 28, the Penn Museum offered an apology to the African family and said: “Committed to respectful mentoring and mentoring” on the return of the cadavers.

“For many, one of the most traumatic parts of this story is that some of the remains were used in the forensic anthropology classes offered by Princeton University and taught by Penn Museum staff.” The statement said, “This course has been suspended.”

A Princeton University spokesman also told CNN in a statement that the course had been suspended.

“We are working to add more context and information to an online course to properly handle human remains in the discipline of forensic anthropology,” the statement said.

Farley admitted in his statement that a recent discovery of the museum piece required him to reassess how he dealt with the disposal of the remains.

“In the midst of recent reports about local institutions possessing the bones of the MOVE bomb victim, I reconsider my actions,” Farley said.

Closer to Justice –and Be Informed – 36 Years Later

Although Kenney apologized to the African family on behalf of Philadelphia in his statement. But he admitted that it might not be enough.

“I can’t imagine how much it means. But I also formally apologize to African families and members of the movement not only on behalf of Philadelphia. But only for this shameful event But also to the administration after the management fails to “I am deeply sorry for the pain, danger and loss that happened on that horrible day,” he said. Believable “

In November 2020, the Philadelphia City Council passed a resolution to apologize for what Kenney said Thursday. “Eleven Black Philadelphia residents – including children …

When CNN asked on Thursday how the incident and mishandling of the victims were still reflected in the city, Kenney said. “It shows 36 years of unconsciousness and a disregard for what really happened to that family.”

“That was sad and unacceptable, and again, as soon as I learned about it, we took action and tried to talk and try to find the right course of action,” he said.

In a statement sent to CNN on April 27, MOVE member Mike Africa Jr. and some descendants of some bomb victims pleaded for responsibility from those responsible for the mishandling of the remains that Mann gave to Terry Funeral Home in most

“It’s because my family has denied justice for too long,” Africa Jr. said. “We have been treated very seriously in life and even death. I want my family members to be considered and I want those responsible for the mismanagement to be held accountable.”


Source link